Group Childbirth Education Classes
Birth Matters NYC's group class series in Astoria are "all-in-one" and include not only prep for labor/birth but also postpartum care, breastfeeding and newborn care -- a rare find in NYC these days. Equally rare is a NYC class series that meets in an inviting and comfy home setting with snacks, drinks, and warm lighting, yet this is the case with BMNYC -- it's like every class is a party!
Group Class Formats
6-class/3-week evening series (weeknights)
Most ideal format from both learning & community-building perspectives
15 hours total (classes 2.5 hours each) completed in 3 weeks on 6 weeknights
All-in-one: Includes prep for labor/birth, postpartum care, breastfeeding and newborn care
Capacity: up to 14 people
Price: $385/pregnant parent + 1 support person
3-class/2-weekend daytime intensive
12 hours total (classes 4 hours each) completed in 2 weekends
All-in-one: includes prep for labor/birth, postpartum care, breastfeeding and newborn care
Capacity: up to 14 people
Price: $395/pregnant parent + 1 support person
Birth Matters NYC Childbirth Class Schedule
The following Astoria-based group class series are available with limited capacity (up to 7 couples). **Classes often sell out 1-2 months in advance, so grab your spot as soon as you can!**
- 6-class/3-week series, Wed/Thurs - Jun 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28 (7-9:30pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 6-class/3-week series, Tues/Wed - July 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 & 25 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat July 14 (10am-2pm), Sun July 15 (12-4pm), Sat July 21 (10am-2pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun July 22 (12-4pm), Sat July 28 (10am-2pm), Sun July 29 (12-4pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 6-class/3-week series, Tues/Wed - July 31, Aug 1, 7, 8, 14, & 15 (7-9:30pm) (SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Aug 4 (10am-2pm), Sun Aug 5 (12-4pm), Sat Aug 11 (10am-2pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun Aug 12 (12-4pm), Sat Aug 18 (10am-2pm), Sun Apr 19 (12-4pm)
- 6-class/3-week series, Thurs/Fri - Sept 6, 7, 13, 14, 20 & 21 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Sept 8 (10am-2pm), Sun Sept 9 (12-4pm), Sat Sept 15 (10am-2pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun Sept 16 (12-4pm), Sat Sept 22 (10am-2pm), Sun Sept 23 (12-4pm)
- 6-class/3-week series, Wed/Thurs - Oct 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 & 18 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun Oct 7 (12-4pm), Sat Oct 13 (10am-2pm), Sun Oct 14 (12-4pm)
- 6-class/6-week series, Tues Oct 23, 30, Nov 6, 13, 20, 27 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Nov 3 (10am-2pm), Sun Nov 4 (12-4pm), Sat Nov 10 (10am-2pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun Nov 11 (12-4pm), Sat Nov 17 (10am-2pm), Sun Nov 18 (12-4pm)
- 6-class/3-week series, Wed/Thurs - Nov 28, 29, Dec 5, 6, 12 & 13 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Dec 1 (10am-2pm), Sun Dec 2 (12-4pm), Sat Dec 8 (10am-2pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun Dec 9 (12-4pm), Sat Dec 15 (10am-2pm), Sun Dec 16 (12-4pm)
*Want to sign up for a waitlist (spots do open up sometimes due to scheduling conflicts or pregnancy developments)? Want to receive updates when new classes are being scheduled? Contact Lisa **please specify your estimated due date**
NOTHING ABOVE WORK?
2 more great options for you!
1) BRAND NEW!
BIRTH MATTERS ONLINE BIRTH CLASS
An online version of the birth curriculum Lisa uses in her in-person series. There's even a special option for adding an in-person, hands-on COMFORT MEASURES FOR LABOR class in Lisa's living room classroom, so you get the best of both worlds! 2nd course coming soon on breastfeeding, newborn care, and postpartum care.
2) Private Sessions
(in your home or Lisa's)
PRICING for GROUP CLASSES
1) Mid-week/6-class series: $385/pregnant parent + 1 support partner (15 hrs)
2) Weekend/3-class intensive: $395/pregnant parent + 1 support partner (12 hrs)
3) BEST BIRTH PACKAGE: Above group class + 1-hr private early pregnancy consult ($75 add-on) -- this consult is most often used to go over assembling your optimal birth team as well as nutritional considerations for a great birth
Classes meet in Lisa's welcoming home in Astoria (Upper Ditmars) and are appropriate for women/couples giving birth in any birth setting -- hospital, birthing center, or home birth. All group series are comprehensive and cover: prep for a holistic, healthy & positive labor/birth, stages of labor and strategies for each, instinctive & natural pain management techniques, practical tips for partners toward optimal labor and parenting support, strategies for avoiding unnecessary interventions, breastfeeding basics, postpartum care & newborn care. The class prepares expectant parents for natural, non-medicated birth, and also covers commonly used pain medications, interventions, complications, and cesarean birth. Expectant parent students will not only learn to trust their intuition toward a healthy birth in class, but will also be well-equipped to make informed choices and to have appropriate expectations regarding the spectrum of possible scenarios in labor and birth.
Instructor Lisa incorporates some of the best aspects of popular methods (e.g. Bradley, Lamaze, Hypnobirthing) and integrates insights from her experience as a doula and evidence-based training with the Childbirth Education Association of Metro New York (CEA/MNY) and Lamaze International.
Classes combine oral instruction with powerpoint, video, demonstration and hands-on practice. A customized class PDF textbook is also included, as are supplemental Google Drive files and a YouTube video playlist.
Online with credit card (click "Register Now" button above), or you can also pay with bank account via Venmo to @birthmattersnyc. Full payment due upon registration. Once payment is submitted, please check the confirmation email for a link to the registration page to complete the intake form.
Refund policy: Refundable up to 2 wks before class begins. After that, prorated refunds available upon request (minus any credit card fees and $25 materials fee, if student has already been given access to them) if a student gives birth at <36 weeks; no refunds if student gives birth at 36+ weeks once class starts.
FSA/HSA cards accepted via website registration; contact your card provider if you encounter problems as they sometimes put restrictions on the card that need to be lifted/adjusted. Inquire with your insurer to determine eligibility for insurance reimbursement; Lisa is happy to provide an itemized receipt to your insurer's specifications upon request.