Group Childbirth Education Classes
Birth Matters NYC's group class series are "all-in-one" and include not only prep for labor/birth but also postpartum care, breastfeeding and newborn care -- a rare find in NYC these days. Equally rare is a NYC class series that meets in an inviting and comfy home setting with snacks, drinks, and warm lighting, yet this is the case with BMNYC -- it's like every class is a party!
Through your time in class, you will become well-equipped for what lies ahead. BMNYC classes and consultations are designed to help pregnant individuals recognize their innate abilities to cope successfully with the challenges of labor in any setting and to help labor support partners (where applicable) to gain the tools to support and advocate for them in an expert, pragmatic manner. Courses incorporate some of the best aspects of popular methods (e.g. Bradley, Lamaze, Hypnobirthing) and integrate insights from the instructor’s experience as a doula and evidence-based training with the Childbirth Education Association of Metro New York (CEA/MNY) and Lamaze International. Students explore a variety of pain-coping and labor coping strategies in order to identify the ones most instinctive to and effective for each person. The class prepares expectant parents for natural, non-medicated birth, and also covers commonly used pain medications, interventions, complications, and cesarean birth. Expectant parents learn important and practical strategies for identifying and avoiding unnecessary interventions vs. knowing when might be a wise or necessary use of each. Class will both build confidence for parents to make informed choices and help parents have appropriate expectations regarding the spectrum of possible scenarios in labor and birth.
Group Class Formats
6-class/3-week evening series (weeknights)
Most ideal format from both learning & community-building perspectives
15 hours total (classes 2.5 hours each) completed in 3 weeks on 6 weeknights
All-in-one: Includes prep for labor/birth, postpartum care, breastfeeding and newborn care
Capacity: up to 14 people
Price: $385/pregnant parent + 1 support person
3-class/2-weekend daytime intensive
12 hours total (classes 4 hours each) completed in 2 weekends
All-in-one: includes prep for labor/birth, postpartum care, breastfeeding and newborn care
Capacity: up to 14 people
Price: $395/pregnant parent + 1 support person
Birth Matters NYC Childbirth Class Schedule
The following Astoria-based group class series are available with limited capacity (up to 7 couples). Private, customized in-home coaching is also available in the 5 boroughs; contact Lisa for more details.
- 3-class/3-weekend intensive, Sun May 6 (12-4pm), Sat May 12 (10am-2pm), Sun May 20 (12-4pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 6-class/3-week series, Thurs/Fri - May 17, 18, 24, 25, 31 & Jun 1 (7-9:30pmc(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Jun 2 (10am-2pm), Sun Jun 3 (12-4pm), Sat Jun 9 (10am-2pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 6-class/3-week series, Wed/Thurs - Jun 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28 (7-9:30pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Jun 16 & 23 (10am-2pm), Sun Jun 24 (12-4pm)(SOLD OUT/WAITLIST*)
- 6-class/3-week series, Tues/Wed - July 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 & 25 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat July 14 (10am-2pm), Sun July 15 (12-4pm), Sat July 21 (10am-2pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun July 22 (12-4pm), Sat July 28 (10am-2pm), Sun July 29 (12-4pm)
- 6-class/3-week series, Tues/Wed - July 31, Aug 1, 7, 8, 14, & 15 (7-9:30pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sat Aug 4 (10am-2pm), Sun Aug 5 (12-4pm), Sat Aug 11 (10am-2pm)
- 3-class/2-weekend intensive, Sun Aug 12 (12-4pm), Sat Aug 18 (10am-2pm), Sun Apr 19 (12-4pm)
**See private sessions info here as an option if you're due before there are available group class spots.**
*Want to receive updates when new classes are being scheduled? Have questions? Want to sign up for a waitlist (spots do open up sometimes due to scheduling conflicts or pregnancy developments)?
**please specify your estimated due date**
**Birth Matters' ONLINE birth course is COMING SUMMER 2018!
To be the first to know when it launches, please scroll down to opt in to our list.**
1) Mid-week/6-class series: $385/pregnant parent + 1 support partner (15 hrs)
2) Weekend/3-class intensive: $395/pregnant parent + 1 support partner (12 hrs)
3) BEST BIRTH PACKAGE: Above group class + 1-hr private early pregnancy consult ($75 add-on) -- this consult is most often used to go over assembling your optimal birth team as well as nutritional considerations for a great birth
Classes meet in my welcoming home in Astoria (Upper Ditmars) and are appropriate for women/couples giving birth in any birth setting -- hospital, birthing center, or home birth. All group series are comprehensive and cover: prep for a holistic, healthy & positive labor/birth, stages of labor and strategies for each, natural pain management techniques, practical tips for partners toward optimal labor and parenting support, strategies for avoiding unnecessary interventions, breastfeeding basics, postpartum care & newborn care. Classes combine oral instruction with powerpoint, video, demonstration and hands-on practice. A customized class PDF textbook is also included, as are supplemental Google Drive files and a YouTube video playlist.
Online with credit card (click "Register Now" button above), or you can also pay with bank account via Venmo to @birthmattersnyc. Full payment due upon registration.
Refund policy: Refundable up to 2 wks before class begins. After that, prorated refunds available upon request (minus any credit card fees and $25 materials fee, if student has already been given access to them) if a student gives birth at <36 weeks; no refunds if student gives birth at 36+ weeks once class starts.
FSA/HSA cards accepted via website registration; contact your card provider if you encounter problems as they sometimes put restrictions on the card that need to be lifted/adjusted. Inquire with your insurer to determine eligibility for insurance reimbursement; Lisa is happy to provide an itemized receipt to your insurer's specifications upon request.